Thursday 8 September 2011

Chapter 3 - Gen 1 - Toby

"So where is Tia, I was hoping to see her?"
"At Jades I suppose, she is always at Jades."
"Naaa Pear went over to Jades tonight I overheard them by the lockers"
"So those two are back on again then?"
"It looks like it."
"I wander where Tia is?"
"Your her brother you should know"
"Mustard, I am not her keeper - anyway what do you want with Tia?"


"Does she have a date for prom?"
"Not as far as I know why?"
"Do you think she would go with me if I asked her?"
"I don't know you should ask her, do you like Tia?"
"Yeah I do, eerrr  do you think she will be going with Apple?"
"Apple - why should she be going with Apple, she hardly knows him.."
"I wouldn't be so sure about that from what I've overheard!!"
"WHAT have you overheard?"


"Tia and Apple - they have been rumbled"
"Rumbled by who and doing what?"
"Apparently Pear has a few bruises and Jade asked him where they came from"
"Fighting with Apple I could have told you that, they both have bruises"
"Yeah but do you know why?"
"Just tell me."
"Pear caught Apple kissing Tia."
"DON'T BE STUPID!!!"
"Seriously!!"
"My best mate and my sister I would know surely."
"You think Tia is at Jades, well she is not there as often as you think, anytime you don't go home with Apple she does - I bet you I know where she is right now - with Apple."
"No  you have got it wrong."
"I have seen it myself, don't forget I only live over the road from the Marmalade house, I catch the same bus that Apple does remember - I see who he goes home with."


"Sorry Toby, I thought you knew."
"No it can't be right - I would have known, Apple he wouldn't and he would have told me!!"
"Whatever, but don't say I never warned you - Oh before I forget , a message from Emerald, she says can you phone her or pop round and see her."
"Your sister Emerald?"
"Yeah."
"What does she want with me?"
"I don't know ask her -  but you know she likes you right?"
"No I didn't!!"
"Yeah well its probably prom - you know."


I got up early  hoping to tackle Tia, then realise she wasn't home, Dad told me she stayed over at Jades. Mmmmm  I wander - according to Mustard Pear was at Jades last night not Tia.  My little brother was screaming the house down, Dad was in the shower mom was still sleeping.  It was then I realised I hadn't even picked him up yet.  He was having his birthday later and this was the first time I had even bothered with him.


I didn't see Tia at school and when I got on the bus to come home, I noticed that Jade was sat with her.  Jade was coming home with Tia.  I forgot about everything else then, I so badly wanted to be Jades friend and I had not even plucked up the courage to even speak to her yet, but now I had the chance.


"Hello Toby" she spoke to me first
"Oh, hiya"
I had the chance to speak to her and I just stood there smiling like an idiot, I did not know what to say to her, an awkward silence fell between us and she kept laughing


Jade was the one that broke the silence
"Tia says your Dramatic and Neurotic."
"Yeah."
"Me too!!"
"Really!!"
"So what other traits do you have?"
"Athletic and Virtuoso"
"Athletic and Family Orented me."
"Nearly the same."
"Yeah"


The ice was broken and we started to natter away about all sorts of stupid stuff, we both had a whine about life and talked about conspiracy theories - it was nice to have someone that understands what I was rambling about Jade was agreeing with me  and telling me her theories anyone without the neurotic trait gets cross or looks at you gone out like you have gone mad.  We even found out we had the same star sign.


Then she floored me.

"You know your kinda cute in an odd sort of way."

What was I supposed to say to that?  Hell - I just stood there like a goof ball grinning and could feel my face getting redder and redder - what do I do now!!

"Toby, Tia come on your brothers are having their birthdays."   Saved by my Mom.


Poor Mitch, and I thought I was ugly!!!  I could not quite put my finger on it but he had this weird look in his eyes, something just didn't seem right with him.


Mattie, well he turned out like everyone expected - he was just a blue clone of my Dad, a thinner version with different traits - he has definitely been the luckiest one out of the four of us.


I was not happy when Jade made a beeline for Mattie.  I knew I did not stand a chance with Jade, but it was nice to dream and the last thing I wanted was to see her with my brother that would just kill me.  Seeing her with Pear, if I had to, I could take but not with Mattie.


I never took my eyes off them for a minute, they chatted for ages, laughing and joking about.  I had this really sick feeling in my stomach.  Mattie looked just like a normal berry kid, so there was more chances of her going for Mattie. 


When they started pillow fighting in MY ROOM, of all places, I could not watch them any longer I had to leave I felt like I was going to throw up!!!!


Dad had made breakfast and called us all to eat.  I had not realised Jade had stayed the night and she caught me off guard when she walked into the kitchen with just a night shirt on and her hair tied back, what is wrong with me - I feel like I am going to pass out!!!  I just stood there staring at her.

"Wake up Toby" Tia moaned at me
"What?"
"There is a queue stop standing there like a goof ball and get your breakfast so I can get mine."
"Sorry, you go I just realised I am not hungry!!"
"What is wrong with you anyway?"
"Oh nothing"


"Leave Jade alone!!"
"WHAT?!"
"Please leave Jade alone."
"Toby what on earth are you on about?"
"I like Jade and I want you to keep your hands off her!!"
"Ooooooooohhhhh - you have got to be kidding me!!"
"No I saw you last night messing about and giggling."
"Toby your welcome to her but you do know you will have to climb over Pear and half the sixth form to get near her - you have got no chance!!"
"You don't like her then?"
"Naaaa she is a little too green for me - I much prefer yellow"  he started smirking.
"Who?"
"Lemon Parfait who do you think!!  She is way prettier than Jade anyway!!"
"She is not!"
"She is so and anyway, I am not being funny, you know I love you and I don't want you to take this the wrong way but wouldn't an "Ugly" be more suitable for you!!"
"Shut up Mattie!!"


"I am sorry Toby but COME ON!!!!  In this town they don't like mixing, you know that, I swear they only put up with Mom and Dad because of how famous Dad is"
"So what about you - don't forget your Mom is an "Ugly" too!!"
"Do I look like an "ugly" - I can get away with it Toby, unfortunately, you can't!!"
"I know and it's not fair!!"
"So - just how bad have you got it?"
"Very bad - I can not think straight!!
"I thought you said you weren't hungry!!"
"I am not."
"So why is your stomach growling so load I can hear it."
"If I eat, I'll throw up!!"
"Wooow you have got it bad!!"
"I want to ask her to prom - what do you think?"
"Well ask her you won't know till you try will you!!"


I went home with Apple after school , I was going to tackle him about Tia.

"So come on spit it out?"
"Spit what out."
"You said you needed to talk to me about something important."
"We have got another new "out of townie" driver, look"
"Stop trying to change the subject Toby"
"It can wait till we get to yours."
"Huh - if it must - and as for the driver, they do change quite regularly I don't think they can hack it in this town for too long."


"So come on."
"Ok - so I heard a rumour about you."
"Oh yeah"
"You and Tia."
His face stayed static - no expression washed over it like I expected it too
"What about me and Tia?"
"You were caught by Pear kissing Tia."
"Are you having a laugh and WHO told you that?"
"Mustard overheard Pear telling Jade."
"Well Mustard couldn't have heard right because it really is not true!!"
"Are you sure, because if its true I don't mind you can tell me!!"
"I swear it isn't true - I hardly know your sister!!"


"I told Mustard it couldn't be true - apparently he said Pear was telling Jade how he got the bruises because you two had been fighting because he caught you kissing Tia."
"We got our bruises because I caught him AGAIN copying my homework!!"
"Why would he even say it?"
"Probably trying to make himself look good to Jade, they broke up again did you know?"
"No."
"They had a big bust up at dinnertime because she stayed over at yours last night, he accused her of going off with your Mattie, he is now sulking bad so if I was you I would keep out of his way, he will probably only take it out on you because Mattie is your brother.!!"
"Mattie is into Lemon Parfait he told me he doesn't even like Jade."
"Toby whats the big grin for?"
"Oh nothing!!"

I was grinning because I was happy that Jade and Pear had broken up - but I couldn't tell Apple that -  but hearing they had broken up gave me the courage to go round and ask her to prom, strike while the irons hot - if she and Pear had broken up then maybe she wouldnt have a date, Prom only two days away - I was going to go tonight to ask her.


"Apple I am going to shoot off when we have finished our homework"
"Why its early yet."
"I know but I have a few things to do before curfew, and I promised I would pop into see Emerald and as she only lives over the road"
"Emerald Leaf?"
"Yeah Mustard said she wanted to see me - god knows what for."
"Eeewwwwww maybe she's going to ask you out!!"
"Shut up!! God you don't think that's it do you - eeewww I hope not!!!!"
"I take it you don't like Emerald then!?"
"No way!!"


I decided to go and see Jade first, I needed to do it now while I had the guts too.  I rang her doorbell nervously, I must really be mad - I just know she is gonna say No!!"  Her Dad answered the door.

"Hello Mr Green, can I have a quick word with Jade if she is around."
"Yes come in, its Toby isn't it."
"Yes sir."  How does he even know my name???
"Hiya Toby are you looking for Tia?" 
Tia of course, Tia spends a lot of time round here that is probably how he knows who I am.
"No it is actually you I came to see."
"Oh yeah"
"Yes, eeerrrr, I was wandering eeeeeerrrrrrr, do you have a date for prom?"
There I had said it - now wait for the rejection!!
"No I don't actually now I have broke up with Pear -  why are you offering to take me?" 
she kind of shocked me with her response especially as she just stood there smiling at me.
"Eeerr Yes if you want me to."
"Ok, you can pick me up at 6pm on Friday"
"Ok!!"

I stood outside her house in a daze, I was in total shock - I had a date for prom - Jade - am I dreaming??  I didn't know whether to scream, shout or pass out - I was so excited I didn't know what to do with myself.   I ran down the street punching the air and made my way back towords Apples house, I was going to see what Emerald wanted.



"Toby you made it Finally!!"
"Yeah sorry, Mustard said you wanted to see me but I have been busy - so what is it that you want me for?"
"Prom - do you have a date?"
"Yeah I do actually."
"Oh shame, I was hoping you might ask me!!"
"Sorry Emerald I have a date already."


"So who is she then?"
"Jade" I said with a big grin on my face
"What Jade Green?"
"Yeah"
"Never - I don't believe you!!"
"Honestly I am going with Jade, wait till Friday you will see."
"Whatever made you ask a "berry" to go to prom with you?"
"She asked me?"
"Now I really don't believe you!!"
"Straight up honestly."
"Yeah whatever, and what does Pear have to say about it?"
"I don't know and I don't care."
"You best had watch your back that's all I can say!!"
"I am sorry I can't take you to prom Emerald, it would have been fun!!"
"Yeah well maybe you can take me out sometime to make up for it."
"Ok I'll think about it - got to dash curfew you know!!"
"Ok Toby I'll hold you to a date then."
Oh god what am I getting myself into here - I really don't like Emerald, I needed to get out and quickly.
"Ok - bye Emerald"


I ran for thesubway and as I got close I saw two of my school friends.

"Hi Pepper, hi Safron"
"Hey Toby wait up"
"Sorry Pepper I am in a rush got I've got 10 minutes to get across town before curfew"
"Good luck with that but I doubt you will make it!!"
"I know!!"


I loved the subway system in this town, something we never had in Sunset.
I got off at the Stadium stop, we lived basically next door to the stadium, when my Dad said he wanted to live close to his work he wasn't joking because next door to the stadium was as close as you can get!!!


I was late, curfew had started - Oh heck!!!
As I stepped onto the pavement a police car pulled up.
BUSTED!!!!!

------------------
------------------

2 comments:

  1. Oo, Toby's got a date to the prom and then he's got a date with someone else later. I wonder how that's going to go. Sooo, is Apple seeing anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo... so sneaky how Emerald conned Toby into a date. That's gotta cause some drama down the line.

    ReplyDelete