Saturday 10 September 2011

Chapter 4 - Gen 1 - Toby

His face was like thunder and he grounded me for a week!!!

"No Dad PLEASE!!!!!"
"I am sorry Toby you don't break curfew get brought home by the police and get away with it."
"I am not asking to get away with it - ground me for a week but can I just PLEASE go to Prom."
"No - end of you are grounded for a week!!"
"Well I hope you are happy - you have just ruined my ENTIRE LIFE - I HATE YOU - you should never have brought us to this stupid town!!!!!!!!"
"GET TO YOUR ROOM NOW - and you have just made it two weeks!!"

I stormed off to my room - my life was officially over.  I was grounded and not allowed to go to prom - my date with Jade was not going to happen - I just wanted to scream!!!!!!!!


"Marty you are being a little hard on him don't you think."
"No Summer he made it worse for himself by the way he spoke to me."
"Its Prom Marty - you only get the chance to do that once in your life, you can't stop him from going."
"Well I did and I have - if he had begged for forgiveness I might not have been so hard but you heard him Summer, you would not like it if he spoke to you like that!!"
"He did only ask to go to prom he was not asking you to drop the grounding and you know why he is so upset don't you?"
"No why?"
"He has a date with Jade."
"What? Tia's mate Jade?"
"Yeah, Mattie told me, apparently Toby has got it bad."
"All the more reason to stop him going to prom - Toby and Jade, if he is getting his hopes up he is heading for a fall he is only going to get hurt."
"Well he does have a date with her - so, you never know and you can't wrap them up in cotton wool forever they need to go out and make their own mistakes!!"
"Naaaaaa it won't happen mark my words, Summer do you really think Granite is going to be impressed with his daughter dating an "ugly" and she really is a very pretty girl"
"Don't call him that Marty, and what has happened to your famous line - its not what's on the outside its what's on the inside - that doesn't just apply to us you know!!!  I say you should let him go and I really won't be happy with you if you stop him."
"Summer ....."
"No Marty you stop him going to prom and I'll ...... you can sleep in the spare room from now on - and as it is his birthday next week you should ungrounded him too after all you know he is a good boy we have had no trouble with him up to now, this is his first time of getting into trouble. !!"
"Do I have a choice?"
"Not really!!"


Miserable wasn't the word for it.   I was sat playing with my breakfast because I couldn't eat it.  It was Friday morning and prom was tonight - prom that I was not allowed to go to, I was just contemplating skivvying school when my Mom came in.

"Toby stop playing with your food - if you are not eating that throw it away."
I just sat there and carried on stirring
"Toby are you even listening to me?"
"Yes Mom."
"Well do as your told before I change my mind and when you have cleaned your dish away your Dad wants a word."
"If he wants to talk to me he can come and find me."
"TOBY - NOW - I really don't know what's gotten into you lately - if you don't go and find your Dad you will be the one losing out so its your choice and hurry up you are going to be late for school."


Dad was working out in the garden he had a big game tomorrow, and while he was talking to me he didn't bother to stop .
"Mom said you wanted a word."
"You can go to prom."
"REALLY!!??"
"Yes and you can thank your mother for getting you ungrounded and allowed to prom, so you best had help her round the house next week!!"
"I will - Thanks Dad!!"
"Now get to school - your late!!"


Prom was just the best.
I never quite believed it until it happened  - I nervously waited all day expecting any minute for my phone to ring and for Jade to cry off our date.  When my phone rang at 5.30 the hairs stood up on end on the back of my neck seeing Jades name light up on my phone screen.  Releaved she was just checking that I was still picking her up at 6pm.  Everyone was pretty shocked when we turned up together - especially Pear who was really not looking too happy.  She grabbed my hand and pulled me across the room away from Pear.  I hoped she actually wanted to hold my hand and was not putting on a show for him, but I didn't mind because at least she was holding my hand.  She hardly left my side all night and we did actually have a right laugh  and we danced a lot.  We were crowned prom kind and queen.  Two low points - two noticeable absences neither Tia or Apple were there and one time when Jade did leave my side and went to the toilet, Pear came over and we ended up brawling on the dance floor - he was realled angry and I suppose I couldn't really blame him.  The best bit - Jade kissed me - she actually kissed me.


"You know I should beat you up for what you have done to my brother!!"
"I haven't done anything to Pear!!"
"Yeah right I heard all about you at prom - Jade - you rat!!"
"They broke up!!"
"That is not the point you know what they are like."
"More to the point where was you!!"
"I didn't feel like it"
"Funny Tia said exactly the same thing."
"Not that again!!"
"I know I am joking!!"
"So are you seeing Jade again?"
"When she comes back from China her dad is taking her on holiday after she graduates on Monday."
"Pear graduates Monday too"


"Hey Ugli, you are in big trouble and how stupid are you coming here today!!"
"I am not scared of you Pear"
"Didn't I warn you what would happen if you didn't keep away from Jade."
"Oh what - that pathetic attempt to pan me at prom."
"Don't push it or you will regret it!!"
"I am quaking in my boots - NOT!!"
"Look at you - your pathetic it amazes me how she could stoop so low just to wind me up."
"She isn't winding you up Pear, she told me, she is done with you - permanently."
"She has said that so often its getting boring - do yourself a favour Ugli, back out now, she is only going to hurt you she will come back to me before long."
"I wouldn't bank on that!!  I acted confidently even though Inside I really wasn't the slightest bit confident.



"Don't say I didn't warn you Ugli, she ALWAYS comes back to me!!"
"The trouble is Pear you just can't keep her can you - well you had better get used to being without her because she isn't coming back to you - I WILL keep her!!"
"In your dreams Ugli, she is playing you any fool can see that."
"Well we will see won't we Pear!!"
"Your the one who will come unstuck Ugli not me!!"
"You are so sure of yourself aren't you - well you really are not funny or nice, I don't know how she even puts up with you!!"
"She loves me."
"Actually she doesn't - now I am telling you - you just keep away from Jade from now on - you had your chance - plenty of chances and you blew them all - now its my turn - so BACK OFF!!"


"Marty I am getting really worried about Mitch"
"You have noticed there is something not quite right."
"Well yes, I have been trying to teach him to talk and he just sits there - days I have been at it and nothing."
"Ive noticed too, I just thought it was me - he has this far away look like he is not all there!!"
"Maybe we should get him checked out."

I always knew my little brother was strange but now it was official he is insane.  Clumsy and insane so the doctors say, and things could get worse as he grows up.  He is struggling to learn anything his walking talking and potty training is just not happening.


It is the weekend and I am just killing time.   Waiting made the time drag and the days longer - I hated waiting for things!!   Waiting for my birthday, graduation, and waiting for the day next week when I can see Jade.   I had not seen her since prom so I did not have a clue what she was thinking and what was happening with us - were we a couple now or was she just using me to wind up Pear?  I hoped it was not the later, but that was going to be the more likely of the two.  What chance did I have me so ugly to have the prettiest girl on this planet to even like me let alone have her as my girlfriend!!  Really I am just kidding myself aren't I!?


I was made to feel worse when I popped round to Apples and I saw Pear who had had his birthday.  This was my competition and what chance did I stand - virtually none I would say!!!!


I decided to go into town and do some busking to take my mind off things, once I had my guitar in my hands and an audience I would forget about everything.  I actually only wanted to earn $50 but walked away with $449 - not bad for an afternoons work!!!


My little brother had his birthday, Mitch is Insane, Clumsy and Childish, there really is no hope for the poor kid is there!!!


The day of my birthday Jade phoned me.

"Happy Birthday"
"Thanks - I didn't know you knew it was birthday."
"You told me last week remember."
"Oh yeah, well I never expected you to remember."
"So, how do you fancy hanging out tomorrow."
"Yeah of course!!"
"Well come round to mine in the morning."
"Ok - I'll see you tomorrow."


My birthday came round and I am now a young adult, I don't really feel any different and I definitely don't look any difference, but then I really never expected to.


I was nervous and excited I was soon going to be seeing Jade, as it was the weekend I wouldnt be graduating until Monday and I was so wound up I found myself ringing her doorbell at 6am in the morning.

"Toby did you wet the bed?  I didn't expect you so early" 
Now I had probably made myself look stupid and over eager!!
"Sorry if I am too early I could always come back later"
"No your here now you may as well come in."


"So, how was your holiday?"
"It was great I loved China."
"What do you want to do today?"
"Just chill I suppose, unless you want to do anything in particular"
"No I am fine with whatever you want to do."


"I've got something for you"  
I said pulling out a bunch of red roses that I had been hiding behind me.
"Oh Toby they are lovely, nobody has ever given me flowers before!!"
"Really?!"
"Pear doesn't have a romantic bone in his body - oh sorry Toby I ..."
"Its ok, have you seen Pear lately?"
I said it was ok but really it wasn't just the mention of his name made me get a sicky feeling as my stomach started to roll in a bad way.


"I saw him yesterday, he told me you two had words the other day"
"Yeah I think he was a little angry over prom."
"I keep telling him to get lost but he won't get the message."
"So you two are not back together then."
"No I told you at prom didn't I, enough is enough, me and Pear are over for good - DAD!!  Do you mind!!!"
"Sorry love, I wasn't earwigging honest."
"Not much!!!  You know Toby don't you."
"Your one of Marty's lads aren't you."
"Yes sir."
"Come on Toby, lets go to my room where it is not so crowded, Dad tends to gatecrash don't you Dad, before we know it we will be talking about football or fishing!!"


"Have you got yourself a job yet?
"Naaaaa I don't have a clue what I want to do - what about you."
"I am applying for a job at the music theatre after graduation, I know I am probably dreaming but one day I want to be a rock star."
"It must be nice to know what you want out of life - all I want is lots of children and that doesn't help me choose a career path does it."
"Children I didn't think you would be the baby type!!"
"Oh yes I love babies and can't wait to have some of my own."
"Exactly just how many are you planning on?"
"Five at least."


We rattled on for hours about anything and everything and I remember her putting her arm around me, just casually at first while we carried on talking.  She kissed me again, not just a quick shy kiss like at prom, she kissed me properly.  I felt like I was dreaming and any minute I would wake up, but I wasn't dreaming and this really was happening.  We made out, then we made love, now I am lying here thinking I just maybe have died and gone to heaven.  Everything I wished for is happening and I never in my wildest dreams imagined it would.


"Do you have to go?"
"I am sorry, I don't want to go but I promised my Dad I would watch Mitch while he takes Mom out, its been ages since they actually had a night out together."
"Can't Tia watch Mitch"
"I wish - Tia spends more time out than in these days, its kind of hard to pin her down for two minutes."
"I haven't seen her for ages."
"Really - so what is she up to I wonder, do you know?"
"I don't have a clue - maybe she has got herself a fella"
"She would have said something surely - oh I don't know I suppose we will find out soon enough."


"I have to go, I'll see you tomorrow if you like."
"Yes but can you not bang the door down at 6am - 8am would but much better!!"
"Ok 8am sharp"
"And Toby - does this mean I am your girlfriend now?"
"Err Yes, I suppose it does!!"


------------------
------------------

I am so cross with Toby - I am trying to keep it ugly while he goes and falls for a girl who I should imagine will create nice looking kids.  The Ugly that I planted in the game for him he hasn't even batted an eyelid at.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Toby - he reminds of the little troll people I had when I was a kid, the funny little troll face with the long blue hair brushed back from his face :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jade is very pretty and will probably make nice kids and who knows maybe Toby will change his mind. Oh, and Kira's right he does resemble those trolls that where popular but I never really got into them when I was a kid. But I'm sad for my Pear, since no matter what life he gets he never gets his girl he likes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah lol - he does remind me of those trolls too that's why i gave him that specific hair style. and sraina i know how you feel about pear - i am feeling dead guilty but its what toby wishes for and Jade does have the love heart by pear too so you never know what the future holds lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Until you mentioned it I didn't even think of the troll dolls. I really like how he looks oddly. Maybe unconsciously because it reminded me of childhood toys. Hehe

    ReplyDelete