Sunday 11 September 2011

Chapter 5 - Gen 1 - Toby

I floated home from Jades house, I had all sorts of emotions running through me none of them I could explain.  I was really scared any minute I was going to wake up and find that today had all been a dream.

8am on the dot the next morning, I was knocking on Jades door.


"So what are we doing today?"
"Anything you want to do I don't care."
"Well maybe I will have to think of something fun then."


"While I am thinking how about a good morning kiss, or don't I get one?!"
I didn't need to be asked twice.


"Morning Toby bright and early again I see."
"Yes Mr Green."
"Dad don't you have something to do?"
"Yes - yes - I am going in a minute, Jade you are such a nag - Toby I hope you know what you are letting yourself in for!!"
"Your going to be late Dad!!"
"Ok - ok, why do I always get the feeling you are trying to get rid of me."
"Because I am!!"


I waited until her Dad had left
"Does your Dad not mind?"
"Mind what?"
"Us."
"You mean the mixing, I don't think he is too comfortable with it but he is not exactly opposed to it, I think your Dad might have helped him with that."
"My Dad?"
"They work together, you knew that didn't you?"
"No actually I didn't"
"Yeah they have spoken about us and the mixing and everything."
"My Dad never said."
"I don't suppose he would."


"I need to ask you something - are you ashamed of being seen out with me?"
"NO!!  What made you ask that?"
"Well its not like we go out anywhere we are always stuck in here"
"Your being silly - we went to prom together didn't we."
"Yes but - we haven't been out together since have we."
"Its just the way its turned out I suppose, what we have been doing Toby we can not do in public can we!?
"I suppose."
"I tell you what, to keep you happy we will go out in public tomorrow, ok."
"Ok, sorry I just had to ask."


We spent the rest of the day messing about in and out of bed laughing and chatting, I could have stayed like this forever I was so happy.


I really don't know what possessed me, up until now I had left everything to Jade, she decided when we kissed each other and everything, she initiated everything I just sat back too scared to push things or overstep the mark.  So when I did take the initiative to do something I kind of put my big foot in it!!!!   What was wrong with wanting to propose marriage to her - it was too soon - I should have waited - as soon as I wanted it I should not of acted on it right there and then.


At first she acted shocked and covered her mouth and squealed.  Then her expression changed, she took her hands away from her face and snapped the ring box shut.

"Toby have you gone mad!!??"
"No I love you and I want to marry you."
"You fool!!"


"Get up you idiot"
"Jade ......."
"No Toby, why did you have to go and spoil things??!!"


"How did I spoil things?"
"You just did ok - I really can not believe that you did that!!"
"I am sorry but why?"
"I am tired Toby maybe we should talk about this tomorrow when we aren't so upset."
"Fine I'll go."
"Toby wait, you don't have to leave - I thought you was staying over"
"Just forget it Jade."


I could not get out of there quick enough.  I felt such a fool - what did I do that for???  No, I shouldn't beat myself up over it - I wanted to propose to her, I was quite happy, obviously she was the one who has a problem.  Still I was stupid, it was too soon!!!  Then again getting engaged now was not like we had to get married any time soon - she could have taken as much time as she wanted, obviously she can not care about me enough.  I jogged slowly all the way home, I needed to clear my head but instead of clearing it I tormented it - I came up with thousands of reasons why she reacted the way she did and Pear was at the top of the list.  What had the last few days and everything since prom been all about for her??


The sight of that paparazzi woman AGAIN camped out on the front of our house irritated me, I was already in a bad mood and the sight of her just made it worse.

"Hey you - why do I have to see your face, every time I come in and out of my house?"
"Toby you know its my job."
"Well your job sucks, maybe you should get another one!!"
"Who has rattled your cage?!"
"None of your business!!"


"Well you have shocked me you are usually always so pleasant."
The look on her face told me I should never have snapped at her the way I had
"Annemarie, I am sorry, I am just in a bad mood and I shouldn't have taken it out on you!!"
"No you shouldn't!!"


"So why are you so quiet and miserable Toby?" Tia asked
"And why are you so happy?"
"Toby I am sick of your mood - what's wrong?"
"Nothing for you to worry about, just get back to whatever it is your doing"
"What is that suppose to mean?"
"You tell me - I am surprised you even remember the way home these days, I hardly see you and your definitely never here when I need you."
"Well I am here now."
"Too late - I don't really need you right now."
"Well you could have fooled me!!"


I graduated with honours and was deemed the most likely to become a Superstar Athlete.  That I found pretty amusing seeing as though I had no intention of having a sports career I was taking the musical path.


"So, how is it going with you and Jade?
"Oh Apple I have gone and done something really really stupid!!"
"What?"
"Everything was going great with me and Jade, then I go and mess it up, I am so embarrassed at myself!!"
"Well tell me what you have done then!!"
"I proposed and she turned me down - she was mad I have never seen her so angry."
"Aaarrr no wander."
"What Apple?"
"She stayed over ours last night, she was really upset over something, now I know what."
"She what??!!"


"Sorry Toby I shouldn't have said anything - I have put my foot in it haven't I."
"You and me both!!!"
"Maybe you should get out now before you get hurt anymore."
"I can't I love her."
"She is playing both you and Pear, she has messed Pears head up again, he had just got used to the idea of losing her and she turns up on our doorstep last night in tears looking for Pear."
"What happened?"
"Are you sure you really want to hear this?"
"Yes just tell me damn it!!"
"I don't know they went to Pears room and I didn't see them again till breakfast so your guess is as good as mine, I am sorry Toby I really shouldn't have said anything."
"No I am glad you did."


"Toby you know I don't really know anything about your relationship with Jade and what you do together, nor about Pear and Jades relationship really for that matter, but what I can see is that she is messing you both up, she is hurting you both, mate you really need to get out now before she makes you as twisted as she has made Pear."
"That is easy for you to say Apple you don't love her."
"Maybe but you know Pear used to be ok till Jade happened you know she has made him the way he is now - I really don't want to see her do the same thing to you."


"Son I have just been watching you and Apple talking."
"So?"
"What has upset you so much, I saw you having that little crack up?"
"Its none of your business."
"Toby - you can talk to me you know if you need to."
"Dad just but out - I don't need you interfering!!"


I withdrew into myself, hardly eating or sleeping, punished myself by running till I could not run any more.  Nobody at home could get anywhere near me without me verbally ripping their heads off.  I know I was taking it out on everyone but I just couldn't pull myself together.  Jade tried to phone me a few times but I just ignored her calls and then I just turned my phone off it was a lot easier for me not to see her name keep flashing up on my phone screen.  I was angry with myself but even more angrier with Jade for running to Pear after I had stormed out.  I was trying to take Apples advice, and get out now while I still can,  but it was damn near killing me


Mitch broke the kitchen sink and flooded the place and I lost the plot, I yelled at him so badly he ran off screaming and  Mattie who usually picks on Mitch layed into me so I started on him.

"Toby THAT'S ENOUGH!!!!!!"
Dad came into the kitchen
"We have all had it with your mood now you are going to sit down and tell me what the problem is because we are all finding it very hard to live with you at the moment and none of us know the reason behind your obnoxious attitude!!"
"I have already told you Dad, but out!!"


"No Toby, YOU WILL sit down and tell  me what is going on or you can get upstairs pack your bags and find alternative accommodation - its your choice!!"


-----------------
-----------------

1 comment:

  1. Aw, poor Toby got rejected and he's already got celebrity status. I love Apple there trying to help his friend out.

    ReplyDelete