Friday 16 September 2011

Chapter 9 - Gen 1 - Toby

I was at work when my nephew arrived.  They decided to call  him Manderine and he is a little genius like his Dad and Athletic like his Mom.



Mattie also had his birthday today and he will be moving out into a place of his own with Lemon his girlfriend after graduation.


"You would be the one to go and wake him up!!"
"He was already awake."
"Fibber cause I only just got him to sleep/"
"Apple its too late to be reading pregnancy books now!!"
"Its a medical journal from work clever clogs."


I also found out that while I was at work Apple and Tia had got married on the quiet.  My parents were there and that was it I was not happy.

"Anyway I want words with you Apple."
"What have I done now?"
"Where was my wedding invite?"
"Oh don't you start - I have already had Mattie giving me an ear bashing!!"
"Well?"
"We did it quickly to stop your sister getting any stick you know the public disgrace thing, she has a celebrity status, luckily I have managed to escape it so far. Unfortunately we were just a little too late, the news had already gotten out - so its public knowledge that Tia had a baby out of wedlock."
"You do know what this means don't you?"
"No whatt?"
"Your Dad and Pear, they are going to find out - you didn't tell them did you?!"
"No I didn't tell them - oh well - I doubt they will come rushing round to see Mandarine anyway"


It did not take too long for the news to leak to Austin and Pear, Austin phoned Apple and he was hopping mad!!


"Apple whats wrong?"
"Tia that was my Dad."
"Oh!"
"Yes, oh, he is on his way round he has found out about Mandarine and he is not happy, I just hope he isn't bringing Pear with him!!"
"Don't worry I am sure everything will be fine!!"


"I take it this is who you came to see, seeing as you have not been speaking to me since I left."
"So whats his name?"
"Mandarine"
"Your Mom would have liked that name."
"Dad don't ...."


"Why didn't you tell me Apple?"
"After the things you and Pear said about Tia!!"
"What Pear said about Tia, I don't actually remember saying alot."
"No but you just sat there abd let Pear do the talking as usual, you didn't once tell him to shut up!!"
"I was a little shocked, I never expected it, this is all my fault, we should never have moved to this town!!"
"Well I am glad we did, and I don't quite understand your problem, I am perfectly happy!!!"
"It is not that I disaprove of Tia or even her being an "ugly" its the mixing thing and the problems it is going to cause you and Tia and your children."
"Dad I hate to say this but you know there are only two people I know so far who disapprove or have even commented about us and that is you and Pear - everyone else is fine about me and Tia."
"I am sorry Apple but I am your Dad and I can not help worrying about you."
"Well don't - there is nothing to worry about, and before you say it - I don't care how Mandarine turns out - I don't care if he turns out to look just like Tia, I love Tia and I will love our kids whatever!!"


"I need to take him in he needs changing and feeding, you might as well come into the house."
"No I'll wait here."
"What scared the freaks might get you!!"
"APPLE there is no need for that attitude!!!!!"
"I am sorry Dad but you have upset me!!  Here comes Mitch, I am sure he will keep you entertained for a while, but don't be nasty too him, you might find him a little strange because he is mentally insane."


"Hello Mr are you coming to graduation too?"
"No I am waiting for Apple."
"Can I wait for Apple too?"
"If you want to."


"Mitch your Mom wants you inside they are leaving in a minute"
"I am waiting for you with the man."
"Go quick before your Dad comes and gets you."
Mitch went scurrying off into he house
"Why is he like that?"
"Just one of those things, he was born like it."
"It's not because of the mixing thing is it?"
"No Dad, it could happen to anyone, its just unfortunate it happened to Mitch, and if your worried about Mandarine  he is fine he has inherited my genius trait.."


"Are you going somewhere only you have changed?"
"I should have been going to Matties graduation but Summer said I should stay here and sort things out with you."
"Summer?"
"Summer is Toby and Tia's mom - so you need to tell me what you are thinking?"
"Well I am not happy that you didn't tell me I was getting a grandchild."
"I didn't think you would be interested after everything that was said and you haven't exactly spoken to me since I left and as you hate Tia so much....."
"I don't hate Tia at all!!!."
"Yes but you hate the way she looks and what she is - you do know we got married don't you"
"NO!!! I didn't!!"


By the time we got back from Matties graduation Apple and his Dad were merrily talking away and it didn't look like there was a problem between them.  I really hope that they have sorted things out.


"So Toby how are things going between you and Jade?"
"Eerr they are not!!"
"Really - only  I thought you and Jade were together now as Pear no longer has anything to do with her."
"No, so Jade and Pear are not together??!!"
"I haven't seen her for months - Pear and Jade had an almighty ding dong and I haven't seen her since, in fact Pear has been seeing Lime Parfait for a while."



"Dad are you sure?" Apple butted into the conversation
"Yes Pear is always with Lime and as far as Pear knew Jade dumped him for Toby"
My legs suddenly went wobbly, maybe she had been telling the truth after all
"Can I ask you something - remember that night she came round in a right state just before my graduation."
"Yes, Apple you was there mind you, you did sleep through the racket."
"What racket?"
"The argument they had, she came round in tears remember and they went to Pears room it was quite for ages then it started, you had already gone to sleep - a right row they had, how you managed to sleep through it I will never know."
"So what happened they seemed fine in the morning at breakfast."
"They weren't Pear slept in with me, he cried himself to sleep.  They hardly spoke at breakfast , she ate then left and I haven't seen her since."


"Toby I am sorry!!"
"What for?"
"I made things worse didn't I for not knowing all the facts"
"Not really, it still doesn't alter the fact that she went running to Pear the minute I stormed off upset."
"I suppose, but I feel like I made things worse for you and all this time it looks like she has been telling the truth about nothing happening with her and Pear."
"Yeah I know"
"So what are you going to do?"
"I don't know?"
"I think you should go and talk to her."
"Probably too late I broke up with her."


"Toby I think you should go and speak to her."  Tia said
"Tia I feel really awful, I made it worse!!!"
"Well don't feel bad Apple, you still probably did me a favour."


I was chewing things over and over in my mind, I could not even concerntrate on my guitar playing.  What if she had been telling the truth all along and I had gotten it completely wrong!!!



Before I realised what I was doing I was knocking on Jades front door.

"So have you come round for seconds?"
"I came to talk, I don't want to fight with you any more Jade"
"Well you could have fooled me!!"


"So have you calmed down now?"
"Yes I want to talk."
"Ok then, you can come in."


"I just want to know two thing - why did you run round to Pear after I stormed off?"
"I really don't know - habit I suppose, we have been close for so long we have been good friends it would just be like you running to Apple everytime you are upset.  I haven't seen him since then, we are over permanently"
"Secondly, why did you say no to me when I proposed to you? And I want the truth"
"I panicked, it was too soon, there was a lot to think about, it wasn't because I don't love you or don't want to marry you - because I do - its just the mixing thing - I don't know i can take the stick we are going to get!!"


"You know its not as bad as you might think, and its not like we are the only ones doing it.  Mom and Dad managed fine and Apple and Tia are managing ok, the only stick they have had is from Apples family, Austin has come round to the idea, he is fine with it and he loves little Manderine Austin is always camped out at ours these days,  but Pear is still giving Apple stick. " 
"What does Manderine look like?"
"Is it how our kids might turn out - is that what bothers you?"
"A little, actually a lot!!"
"Well that's something you need to sort out, because if we do get married and do have kids some of them will look like me, its inevitable and if you love me you should love them too, in fact you should love them whatever but if you are going to have doubts then there is no point us carrying on."


"You never said who Manderine is like?"
"Apple, he has Apples eyes, his ears nose and mouth are perfect - we think he is going to be "berry" no sign of "ugly".  He does have Tia's skin colour though, but its his birthday soon so we will know for sure then."
"I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you!!"


"So can we start again, will you be my boyfriend again?"
"No."
"What?! but I thought ...."
"Not until you have got your head sorted out."
"I do love you Toby."


"Maybe not enough if you have all these doubts floating about."

--------------------
--------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment